Feb 20, 2009

Nothing

I am a regular customer of this middle aged banana vendor who sells bananas on a pushcart near Aiyappa Swamy temple, Madiwala. He starts his business by 9 in the morning and shuts by 10 in the night. He wears a black jerkin and has a beedi between his lips sometimes. He is a cheerful person. I have been watching him for 3+ years now. He is in the same place, selling fresh bananas everyday. I have wondered if he doesn't feel bored about his job, if his income is sufficient for him to survive in Bangalore, if he has never worried about a better future, if he has never thought of doing something better in life. I don't know who is to define what is better, though!

The other day, just for fun, I told him that the previous day I had got bigger bananas for the same price. "Howdu howdu", he said laughing loudly. He didn't bother to justify, he didn't bother to react.
Yesterday, when I enquired the price of the bananas, he said, "Three".
"Three or free?", I asked smiling. He laughed loudly!

Sometimes, I wonder about the secret of his joy. Probably, he doesn't think about it and that is why he is happy! I have started respecting this person for his attitude. Life looks very simple and easy. If a person selling bananas can laugh like a carefree child, anybody can laugh, no matter what problems they have. I told this to my friend and he said, "It has nothing to do with your job!" Yes, exactly, that's my point!

2 comments:

  1. Nice one.. U are a happy person too Kiran.. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey very touching post! great meaning and good observation! :)

    ReplyDelete