Jun 14, 2012

Nothing

The other day, the siren at the Electronic City Phase 2 traffic signal was beeping continuously. Normally, this siren is to indicate that the pedestrians can cross the road. However, this time it was due to a malfunctioning of the system. The beep was still going on when I left that place. The traffic signal displayed the green light for pedestrians, as the vehicles were speeding their way on the road. As everyone knows, these signals are to be followed at one's own risk.

It was good fun to see the traffic police trying to stop the beep. One guy climbed on to the post and tried his skills. Nothing stopped the beep. But the fact is that nobody took the beep seriously. None of the pedestrians relied on the signal while crossing the road there. Needless to say, none of the vehicles cared to slow down looking at the signal.



The Electronic city signal provides an option to the pedestrian to turn signal in his favor while crossing the road. He can push a button which will turn green signal to pedestrians, also switching on the beep. (The beep is probably for the visually impaired crossing the road.) My guess is that somebody pressed this button, and the beep started. I am guessing that nobody has done this before, and that the police doesn't know how this system actually works. Probably it is designed to stop after a while, but didn't behave the way it is intended to.

I cross this road everyday, but I had never noticed the button. I had never seen anybody using this. I don't think I will use it in future either!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment